Sunday, April 20, 2014

Applying Easter

Night before Easter. It wasn't a bad day. It was actually pretty good. My Christian brother and I had yet another one of our Saturday Bible studies. We're still in the book of Matthew. Chapter 23 this time. Matthew has so much to teach. 

I had read this Gospel many times in my lifetime, but the past year it finally made sense. I thought I had understood it. I mean, I read it, I read English well, I'm thinking. It seemed to make sense. I've even read some of Matthew in Spanish and in Italian. It all says the same thing.

We started our study in Matthew a few months ago - every Saturday. One or maybe two chapters at a time. We study in depth. Discuss what the passages mean, non only what we think it means, or what we've heard other people say that it means, but we focus on what the author means. Yeah. The author. God himself.

It's very important to understand what he is saying in his Word. You, the reader (I know there are at least 1 or 2 out there somewhere) have realized by this point that I'm not going into detail on the study of Matthew itself, but rather the plan here today is to place a bit of emphasis on the importance of delving into the Word, on understanding what the original manuscripts in the Koine (commonly spoken) Greek meant, and what God wants us to get out of it. The entire Bible, the stories, the parables, the analogies, the admonitions and commands, the poetry, the pleading (and on and on) can be applied to our lives.

Yeah. About that. There's no a lot of rationality in merely reading the Bible daily and whipping a check mark with a Sharpie on our calender to note that we've done our daily Bible reading. Notice I said "merely". It is very important to make this a routine, a habit, a part of life. However, without application, we are wasting our time. We are wasting God's time.

Let's please remember to apply what we read, what we learn, and use it in our lives, our family's lives, in raising our children, in making sure that everyone that we can reach is saved.

That's the point today. Application.

Today is 04/20/2014. Easter morning. 12:51 A.M. A lot of us Christians, and some reluctant non-Christians with a drug problem (they'll be "drug" to church against their will) will end up going to some type of Easter service, I imagine. Let's pay attention to the sermon. Really think about what's being preached. Take it home with us. Apply it. Not just today, but for the rest of our God-granted time here on earth. 

Life is short. Do something.

Sorry for the lack of editing. It's now 12:55 in the morning.

God Bless. Love ya guys.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment